- Complex problems require simple, clear and honest solutions.
- Successful solutions will move people by satisfying their needs, giving meaning to their lives and raising their hopes and expectations.
- Exceptional problems demand exceptional solutions that may be radical and even disruptive.
- Effective solutions will be collaborative, inclusive and developed with the people who use them.
- No solution should be developed or delivered in isolation but should instead recognise the social, physical and information systems it is part of.
- Every solution needs to be a robust, responsible and designed with regard to its long-term impact the environment and society.
- Good design is innovative
- Good design makes a product useful
- Good design is aesthetic
- Good design makes a product understandable
- Good design is unobtrusive
- Good design is honest
- Good design is long-lasting
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail
- Good design is environmentally friendly
- Good design is as little design as possible
*Dieter Rams, Ten principles for good design